A Year for Women to Advocate for A More Perfect Union and A More Perfect State!
Two-Minute Activist – AAUW National
Two-Minute Activist is an AAUW National program that provides a quick and easy way to “send emails and texts to your legislators to fight for equal pay, family leave, stopping sexual harassment, equality in education and more.”
To become a “Two-Minute Activist” go to the webpage and simply click on the link for the issue you wish to support to read more about it, then:
- fill in your name and address
- use the suggested message text or personalize it as you wish
- click on “Send Message” and the message will automatically be sent to your US Senators and US Representative
It’s Time to Pass the Paycheck Fairness Act
“You’ve heard the statistics — women working full time in the United States are typically paid just 82% of what men are paid, and the gap is even wider for many women of color. Despite federal and state equal pay laws, the gender pay gap persists. But Congressional action can help change this. The Paycheck Fairness Act would take meaningful steps to update and strengthen the Equal Pay Act of 1963 to help close the gender pay gap.” Read more and Take Action on the National AAUW website.
Follow bills related to pay equity and other wage-related issues in the Minnesota State Legislature. Note: a member of the Public Policy Committee will regularly update the comments summarizing the bills that appear on this list.
Support the Voting Rights Advancement Act
“Our democracy works when everyone can fully participate. Elected officials routinely make decisions about issues that directly impact all of us. From our paychecks to paid leave, access to reproductive health care to access to education, our lives are on the line — and our vote is our voice.” Read more and Take Action on the National AAUW website.
Follow bills related to voting rights in the Minnesota State Legislature. Note: a member of the Public Policy Committee will regularly update the comments summarizing the bills that appear on this list.
Find more quick and easy Two-Minute Activist opportunities and signup to get regular action alerts on the National AAUW website.
Taking action on bills at the Minnesota Legislature
Most bills must meet legislative deadlines for committee hearings to get enacted. For the 2021 session the deadlines are:
- March 12th – a policy bill (bill that does not require state spending or tax changes) must be out of policy committees of either the House or the Senate.
- March 19th – a policy bill must be out of the policy committees in the other legislative body.
- April 9th – Appropriation and finance bills must be out of committees.
Check back in this space for information on scheduled hearings for state bills related to pay equity and elections.
Other resources for taking action
- Find your Federal and State legislators here.
- Go to https://www.mnvotes.org/ to access comprehensive elections and voting information, including registration and absentee ballots, at the MN Secretary of State website.
- Set up a MyBills account: MyBills allows you to track House and Senate bills in the Minnesota State Legislature by bill number and topic. When you log in, your bills will be listed along with information about recent or upcoming significant action. You must log in to see this information, MyBills does not send email alerts.
- Check on individual bills of interest to you in the Minnesota State Legislature here.