2021 – A Year for Women to Advocate for A More Perfect Union and A More Perfect State!
- Scroll down a bit or click here to find AAUW National Two-Minute Activist opportunities.
- Follow bills and Take Action during the Minnesota Legislative Session here.
- Find out about actions YOU can take to address Climate Change here.
- See other resources and links for taking action here.
Two-Minute Activist – AAUW National
Two-Minute Activist is an AAUW National program that provides a quick and easy way to “send emails and texts to your legislators to fight for equal pay, family leave, stopping sexual harassment, equality in education and more.”
To become a “Two-Minute Activist” go to the webpage and simply click on the link for the issue you wish to support to read more about it, then:
- fill in your name and address
- use the suggested message text or personalize it as you wish
- click on “Send Message” and the message will automatically be sent to your US Senators and US Representative
End Pregnancy Discrimination – Pass the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act
“With so many on the frontlines of the COVID-19 crisis, pregnant workers need protection now. That’s why the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act is so important — it would require employers to make reasonable accommodations to protect the health of pregnant workers, such as letting them carry bottles of water or take restroom breaks.”
“On May 14, 2021, the Pregnant Workers Fairness Act passed the U.S. House in a bipartisan 315-101 vote. AAUW strongly supports this legislation and the protection against workplace discrimination it would provide. The bill now advances to the Senate, where your voice is more important than ever.” Read more and Take Action on the National AAUW website.
Support the Gender Equity in Education Act
“In the 47 years since its enactment, Title IX has opened doors for girls and women from classrooms to playing fields. But despite tremendous progress, challenges to equity in education still exist. That’s why we need the Gender Equity in Education Act (GEEA) to ensure schools and educational institutions have the resources they need to comply with civil rights law.” Read more and Take Action on the National AAUW website.
Find more quick and easy Two-Minute Activist opportunities and signup to get regular action alerts on the National AAUW website.
The Minnesota Legislature – Follow Bills and Take Action
July 11, 2021 Update – The Minnesota Legislature has adjourned – for now.
The Minnesota Legislature managed after much angst to pass the last pieces of the biennial budget on June 30th – just in time to avoid a government shutdown. The House then adjourned but the Senate did not. That body decided to suddenly bring up confirmation hearings for 6 of the many commissioners and other high officials appointed by Governor Walz. Two, the heads of the Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board and Office of School Trust Lands, were approved. Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Commissioner Laura Bishop resigned because the administration was informed that the GOP controlled Senate would likely not approve her appointment. At that point the Senate adjoined without holding confirmation hearing on the other three.
But we haven’t seen the end of the Legislature or special sessions this year. There is likely to be another one in September to consider how to distribute $250 million designated from federal pandemic aid for bonus pay for frontline workers. Whenever a special session is called the legislature may choose to consider other business as well. Stay tuned.
Take Action on Climate Change
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, Marilyn Baeker of our Public Policy and Environment Committee led a lively discussion asking “What Can WE Do about Climate Change?” Marilyn solicited ideas, comments, and strategies from those who attended the session by working through several main talking points:
- Eat a Plant Based Diet
- Live Car Free – or Drive Electric
- Avoid Flying
- Buy Green Energy
- Have One (or more) Fewer Children
- Reduce Waste
If you were unable to join the live Zoom, or simply want to refresh your memory of the many good suggestions for action, a recording of the session is available on our Program Videos page.
And a reminder: Any time someone contacts a Senator or Representative to say they support funding for climate change solutions, that’s a good thing.
Other resources for taking action
- Find your Federal and State legislators here.
- Go to https://www.mnvotes.org/ to access comprehensive elections and voting information, including registration and absentee ballots, at the MN Secretary of State website.
- Set up a MyBills account: MyBills allows you to track House and Senate bills in the Minnesota State Legislature by bill number and topic. When you log in, your bills will be listed along with information about recent or upcoming significant action. You must log in to see this information, MyBills does not send email alerts.
- Check on individual bills of interest to you in the Minnesota State Legislature here.
Links to other organizations involved in advocacy:
- The Minnesota Women’s Consortium – now WoMN ACT® (Advocate, Collaborate, Transform): https://www.womnact.org/
- League of Women Voters of Minnesota: https://www.lwvmn.org/
- League of Women Voters 2020 Election Report: https://www.lwv.org/expanding-voter-access/2020-election-impact-report